US House Speaker Johnson says new phase in Iran confrontation expected
🎧 Listen to this article
A dedicated English MP3 is generated for this article.
0:000:00
Tap listen to prepare the audio.
WASHINGTON, United States — WASHINGTON — US House Speaker Mike Johnson said on Sunday that Washington expects to enter a new phase in its confrontation with Iran, reiterating that the United States will continue working to end the dispute. Speaking to Fox News, Johnson said: "We expect to enter a new phase in the Iran war soon, and we will continue working to end this war."
Johnson argued that Iran cannot be trusted at the negotiating table and that preventing Tehran from acquiring a nuclear weapon had been the goal of every previous US administration. He said President Donald Trump had achieved that objective.
Relations between Washington and Tehran have entered a fresh escalation, marked by a halt in the two sides' dialogue, a rise in mutual accusations and renewed talk of military action. The shift comes as diplomatic efforts have stalled over the Strait of Hormuz and freedom of navigation, with each side linking any possible de-escalation to its own conditions.
