At least 22 killed in landslide at Guinea's largest landfill
๐ง Listen to this article
A dedicated English MP3 is generated for this article.
0:000:00
Tap listen to prepare the audio.
CONAKRY, Guinea โ At least 22 people were killed when a section of Dar es-Salam, the largest landfill in the Guinean capital, collapsed early Monday following heavy rainfall. The Civil Protection Agency said a massive waste pile gave way at around 3:00 a.m., sending debris sliding into surrounding shacks.
Colonel Baly Mamadou Bailo, head of sanitary facilities for the country's Military Engineering Corps, told local media that the site had been scheduled for closure on Monday. He said the overnight downpour loosened the ground, causing the waste mass to shift and bury nearby dwellings.
Residents reported that several homes built on the edges of the dump were engulfed as the debris moved downslope. Emergency teams were dispatched to the scene to search for survivors and recover bodies.
Search and rescue operations were continuing at the site. No further details on the number of missing people were immediately available.
