US Defense Department: 18 soldiers killed, 757 wounded in Iran war
🎧 Listen to this article
A dedicated English MP3 is generated for this article.
0:000:00
Tap listen to prepare the audio.
WASHINGTON, United States — WASHINGTON — The US Department of Defense said 18 service members have been killed and 757 wounded in the war with Iran, according to a release issued on Friday. The department said more than 50 new casualty entries had been added to its war casualties database, raising the total wounded figure to 757.
The Pentagon said operations began on February 28 and that it created a new "overseas operations" record category last month covering the campaign that started on July 7. That date coincides with the Trump administration's notification to Congress under the War Powers Act that a new conflict with Iran had begun.
The updated figures follow criticism after the Defense Department temporarily removed four deaths and dozens of woundings from its database. The department attributed the changes to "temporary database glitches" and later restored the records.
The release did not provide additional details on the breakdown of the casualties or the specific units involved, and no further information was immediately available.
