Former Meta executive testifies Zuckerberg deprioritized child safety
🎧 Listen to this article
A dedicated English MP3 is generated for this article.
0:000:00
Tap listen to prepare the audio.
OAKLAND, California — A former Meta engineering director told a federal court on Tuesday that the company’s internal culture placed child safety behind growth and engagement targets. Arturo Bejar testified in Oakland in a lawsuit brought by U.S. states accusing Meta of designing Facebook and Instagram to encourage excessive use by minors.
California, Colorado, Kentucky and New Jersey allege the platforms worsened anxiety, depression and suicidal behavior among young users and misled families about the level of safety offered. A separate group of 25 states has accused Meta of violating federal law by collecting and using personal data from children under 13.
Bejar, who previously oversaw child safety-related work at Meta, told the jury that company priorities consistently favored engagement metrics over protections for younger users. Details of his testimony were reported by multiple outlets covering the trial.
The trial, which began Tuesday in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, is expected to run for roughly six weeks. It is one of the most extensive legal challenges to date over how social media platforms affect minors.
