Israeli army says it killed senior Hamas commander Mohammed al-Attar
๐ง Listen to this article
A dedicated English MP3 is generated for this article.
0:000:00
Tap listen to prepare the audio.
JERUSALEM โ The Israeli military said on Tuesday it killed Mohammed al-Attar, a senior commander of Hamas, in an operation carried out earlier in the day. The military said al-Attar played a role in planning the October 7, 2023 attacks on Israel and held significant responsibility within Hamas's military wing.
According to the Israeli army statement, the operation was coordinated by Israeli security forces and based on intelligence assessments. The military described al-Attar as an important figure inside the armed wing of Hamas and accused him of helping to orchestrate the 2023 assaults.
Hamas has not yet issued an official statement on the killing. The Israeli military has carried out repeated targeted strikes against Hamas figures and affiliated groups, particularly in Gaza, since the start of the war triggered by the October 2023 attacks.
No further details on the location or circumstances of the operation were immediately available.
