Iraqi parliament fails again to question officials over Popular Mobilization Forces strikes
๐ง Listen to this article
A dedicated English MP3 is generated for this article.
0:000:00
Tap listen to prepare the audio.
BAGHDAD, Iraq โ A member of the Iraqi parliament's Security and Defense Committee said Thursday that key officials failed to appear for a second session convened to question them about airstrikes on Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) facilities. Sikkar al-Muhammadawi said Prime Minister's Office Secretary-General Ali al-Zeydi, the acting Chief of Staff and PMF Secretary-General Faleh al-Fayadh did not attend the hearing.
Muhammadawi said the parliament's presidency had sent a formal summons to the Chief of Staff's office requesting the officials' attendance. Committee members and several lawmakers arrived for the session, but the summoned officials did not appear and offered no formal excuse or explanation, he added.
The hearing was intended to address why adequate measures were not taken in response to the bombing of PMF barracks and headquarters by U.S. and Saudi forces. Muhammadawi said the committee would formally notify parliament's presidency of the no-shows, and warned that further legislative steps could follow if the government continues to ignore parliamentary summonses.
U.S. Central Command previously announced that U.S. and Saudi warplanes had targeted weapons and logistics sites in eastern Iraq linked to Iran-backed groups late in July. The PMF said at least 20 of its members and four Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps personnel were killed in the joint airstrikes, with another 32 people wounded.
