Houthis say they struck Aramco facility in Saudi Arabia with drones
๐ง Listen to this article
A dedicated English MP3 is generated for this article.
0:000:00
Tap listen to prepare the audio.
ADEN, Yemen โ Yemen's Houthis said Thursday afternoon that they carried out a drone attack on a Saudi Aramco facility near the airport in the Saudi city of Najran, alongside another strike on what the group described as a sensitive target at the same site. Houthi military spokesman Yahya Sarey said the operation was carried out in response to Saudi warplanes violating Yemeni airspace over the northern province of Saada, which lies near Sanaa.
The Iran-aligned group also said eight Saudi oil tankers had been targeted since a navigation ban on Saudi vessels in the Red Sea, the Gulf of Aden and the Arabian Sea began on July 20. Earlier this week, the Houthis said they had sunk two military landing ships off the Red Sea port city of Mocha, which they claimed were carrying weapons, and had targeted more than 10 Saudi warships.
In recent weeks, the Houthis have intensified their attacks on Saudi oil facilities and have struck Abha airport with ballistic missiles and drones. A ceasefire between Saudi Arabia and the Houthis collapsed last month, and fighting between the group and government forces has escalated across parts of Yemen.
Yemeni Armed Forces spokesman Brigadier General Majid Abdullah al-Nazil said 81 operations had been conducted against Houthi targets in the past 24 hours.
