๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ถ
Irak HaberleriIraq News in English
Loading...About
Iraq Defense Ministry announces inquiry into soldier's death amid torture claims

Iraq Defense Ministry announces inquiry into soldier's death amid torture claims

๐Ÿ“ Iraq๐Ÿ“† Monday๐Ÿ“… 17 August 2026๐Ÿ• 18:38โœ๏ธ Irak Haberleri
๐ŸŽง Listen to this article
A dedicated English MP3 is generated for this article.
Tap listen to prepare the audio.
BAGHDAD, Iraq โ€” Iraq's Ministry of Defense has opened a formal investigation into the death of a soldier, after social media posts alleged torture. In a written statement, ministry spokesman Brigadier General Yahya Rassoul identified the soldier as Mohammed Hudhayr Abbas Shabib al-Rikabi. Rassoul said the soldier's case had circulated on several social media accounts, and that relevant units had been instructed to determine the circumstances and cause of death. The investigation will examine the facts and pinpoint responsibility, and the matter will be handled in accordance with the country's legal framework, the ministry said. The ministry added that the findings will be released to the public once the inquiry is complete. It also called on media outlets and social media users to adhere to the principle of accuracy when sharing information about the case.