Trump launches broad economic campaign against Iran, warns of sanctions on supporters
๐ง Listen to this article
A dedicated English MP3 is generated for this article.
0:000:00
Tap listen to prepare the audio.
TEHRAN, Iran โ U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Thursday a comprehensive economic campaign against Iran, threatening heavy sanctions on any country that provides financial or commercial support to Tehran. In a post on Truth Social, Trump claimed Iran's navy had "disappeared," its air force had been "wiped out" and its military facilities reduced to rubble. He said Iran's currency had lost value and described the country as "hanging by a thin thread."
Trump warned that governments backing Iran through financial institutions, companies, airports or state organs would face "major economic consequences." He called on U.S. allies to isolate Iran and reiterated that the country would not be allowed to possess nuclear weapons.
According to Shafaq News, the United States and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding in mid-June under Pakistani mediation, aimed at ending a war that had begun on February 28 and launching a 60-day negotiating process. The talks expired on August 17. Between July 8 and 23, the U.S. Army carried out a series of strikes against Iran that U.S. Central Command said were carried out in response to Iranian actions against commercial vessels in the Strait of Hormuz.
