Iraqi, Saudi top diplomats stress dialogue to manage regional tensions
🎧 Listen to this article
A dedicated English MP3 is generated for this article.
0:000:00
Tap listen to prepare the audio.
BAGHDAD, Iraq — Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein and his Saudi counterpart, Prince Faisal bin Farhan, discussed in a phone call the need to contain regional tensions through diplomacy, according to a statement from the Iraqi Foreign Ministry. The two ministers stressed that negotiating channels should be reopened to address the impact of rising tensions on regional security.
Hussein underlined the importance of sustaining coordination between Baghdad and Riyadh and maintaining joint engagement with other countries on regional developments, and thanked his Saudi counterpart for the call, the ministry said.
The conversation comes after the Saudi Foreign Ministry condemned attacks on the Kurdistan Region, including a strike that hit the office of Kurdistan Regional Government Prime Minister Masrour Barzani, describing them as a violation of Iraqi sovereignty and territorial integrity. Earlier this month, Saudi Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman told Iraqi Chief of General Staff Lieutenant General Abdulamir al-Shimari during a meeting in Riyadh that Saudi Arabia would continue to support Iraq's security and stability.
Separately, Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia' al-Sudani met Saudi intelligence chief Khalid bin Ali al-Humaidan on August 7 and reiterated an invitation to visit Riyadh. Last month, the Saudi Defense Ministry said drones allegedly launched from Iraqi territory and aimed at oil facilities in the eastern Saudi province and in Riyadh were intercepted.
