US Treasury Secretary Bessent says largest financial operation against Iran has begun
🎧 Listen to this article
A dedicated English MP3 is generated for this article.
0:000:00
Tap listen to prepare the audio.
WASHINGTON, United States — WASHINGTON — US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Monday that the United States has launched what he called its largest financial operation against Iran, targeting the economic networks sustaining Tehran's government. Speaking in remarks reported by international media, Bessent said an "economic day of reckoning" had arrived for Iran and that the campaign aims to cut off "every economic lifeline" that keeps the country's "oppressive regime" standing.
The Treasury secretary warned that countries linked to what he described as "a regime in collapse" would find paths to sustainable prosperity closed off. He added that any military attack on US forces or Gulf states would be met with a "swift and decisive" response from President Donald Trump.
Trump had earlier announced the launch of the economic operation and said Iran was facing "unprecedented levels of isolation." He also urged allies to join Washington in the effort, according to the same reports.
The scope and timeline of the financial measures, including any new sanctions designations, were not immediately detailed.
